TV fans usually expect to have control over what the apps they can install on Smart TVs, so as to get a more enjoyable watching experience. Many Smart TVs have no such function but just limit users down to the pre-installed apps. Obviously, you have no control over the installation of your favorite apps. Therefore, Smart TVs allowing to install the favorite apps are always on the popular list nowadays. VIZIO Smart TV is one of them. However, many users have been searching for the approach of how to add apps to VIZIO Smart TV, since they changed to SmartCast, a new platform. This article will guide you through the exact steps of adding apps to your VIZIO Smart TV.
VIZIO Smart TV
Depending on whether your VIZIO TV includes the SmartCast or Internet Apps / Apps + platform, it determines the approach of how to add apps to VIZIO, in addition to the core apps provided. Here’s a quick guide on how to add apps to both types of VIZIO Smart TVs.
On VIZIO SmartCast TVs, apps are not added to the Smart TV but installed on a compatible mobile phone or tablet. Then the program will broadcast to the TV in the same way as while using a Chromecast device.
Here are the steps of how to add apps to your mobile devices:
- Visit the Google Play Store or Apple App Store using your mobile device;
- Select an available App with Chromecast enabled;
- Tap the Install button;
- Once installed, the app will be part of your broadcast selection now;
To watch the content of the app on your Smart TV, you need to broadcast it from your mobile device. A SmartCast TV will automatically detect and display the broadcast on the screen.
Internet Apps / Apps +
If your VIZIO Smart TV contains VIZIO Internet Apps (VIA) or Vizio Internet Apps + (VIA +), apps can be added directly to the Smart TV. It does not work like SmartCast using the selections available from VIZIO and on some models from the Google Play Store.
These are the steps of how to add:
- Select the V button on your VIZIO TV remote to bring up the Apps menu;
- Select one of the App Store options (Featured, Latest, All apps, or Categories);
- Highlight the app(s) you want to add that is not already on your list;
- For TVs with VIA, press OK and go to install the app process. After the app is installed, it will be added to your display selection;
- For TVs with VIA +, press and hold OK until the app is added to the My apps list;
- Select the app to view it.
TVs with integrated Chromecast
While VIZIO includes Chromecast in its SmartCast platform, there are also other TVs with Chromecast built-in as their core streaming apps. These include the selected models from Haier, JVC, LeECO, Philips, Polaroid, Sharp, Skyworth, Soniq, Sony, and Toshiba.
The steps for adding more apps to a TV with Chromecast built-in are similar to those for VIZIO SmartCast TVs, but without the added features that Vizio offers.
- Go to the Google Play Store or Apple App Store;
- Select an available App with Chromecast;
- Tap Install and wait for the download and installation process to complete;
- Once installed, you can broadcast content from the app straight away from your smartphone to your TV.
As you can see from the above, there are no complicated steps involved to add apps to VIZIO TVs. However, if you have difficulties during the apps installed on your VIZIO Smart TV, please comment below and let us know.